Social Icons

Friday, June 6, 2014

Legacy |

Legacy. What is a legacy and how does it relate or correlate to our lives? The great Maya Angelou once stated that, "people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel". This quote has become somewhat of a life motto to me lately. Legacy is defined as "anything handed down from the past, as from an ancestor or predecessor". However, my personal definition of a legacy, and the definition that many others identify with is, the impression that you have left once you are gone. I think many times in life we focus our time and energy more on things that are temporary than things than things that are lasting or eternal. Perhaps, the greatest travesty in life is wasting what could be an incredible legacy on trivial matters. My favorite scripture is 2 Corinthians 4: 17-18, "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us, a glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen, for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal". As I grow older, (and hopefully a little bit wiser) I have realized that only what I do for His kingdom will last. As much as I desire truly make something of myself, it really doesn't matter in the end if it isn't enhancing my God given purpose. It is because of this that lately I have been thinking a lot about the legacy that I want to leave behind. I want people to remember me as someone who was genuine, authentic in my beliefs, kind to everyone that I encountered, someone who gave of my time, energy and resources to others, someone who loved others above myself despite their flaws or shortcomings, and most of all someone who loved God more than anything and someone who gave every ounce of talent that i had been given, to Him. 

Perhaps, sometimes we worry too much about the future and forget that each and every day we are building our legacy. Each and every conversation we have contributes to how we will be remembered. Perhaps, the greatest joys in life do not come from how much money you make or how successful you are on this earth, but instead from the knowledge that you have reached as many people as humanly possible and that you have truly lived a life that deserves "well done thou good and faithful servant". I've realized that loving, encouraging and investing in others can bring you so much joy. Taking the time to listen to others and encourage them will mean more to them than you can ever possibly imagine. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." (Philippians 2:3, 4 NIV). There are times when we feel like our efforts are in vain, and that all of time and effort we put into others really isn't benefitting anyone. It is then that we have to remind ourselves of this scripture, "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." (Galatians 6:9, 10 KJV). 

If we live our life to serve Jesus and then others, we will never regret it. 
"Jesus first. Others second. Yourself last."

Xoxo
Nikkimarie. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!